The University of Texas at Austin
To prepare professionals to be culturally competent physical education teachers, teacher educators and researchers who will continue to advance our knowledge and understanding of the importance of physical education, physical activity and sport.
The Physical Education Teacher Education graduate program offers three degree plans including Masters of Education, Masters of Arts with K-12 Physical Education Teaching Certification, and a Doctor of Philosophy. This is one of only twenty institutions in the country that offers these degree plans. Through empirical research and best pedagogical practice, students enrolled in these degree plans experience highly interactive course work and have excellent job placement in academia, research institutions, and the public sector upon graduation. Student will be able to complete their master program remotely. We invite you to learn about our programs and on-going research projects by selecting from the following link: http://www.edb.utexas.edu/education/departments/ci/programs/pete/
Unique Aspects of our Program
- Cultural diversity
- Use of new technology
- Hands-on research experience
- Working with undergraduate students in school settings
- A (teaching assistant) for undergraduate studies courses (i.e., African Americans in sports; fitness for life; and physical activity back to the future) and student teaching.
- AI (assistant instructor) for KIN 314 Children's movement.
- GPA >3.0
- Presentations at state or national conferences
- Research paper writing or publishing
- Serve on various committees at the dept., state, and national levels.
- EDC 384P Analysis of Teaching in Physical Education
- EDC 384P Research on Teaching in Physical Education
- EDC 385G Current Issues in Physical Education
- EDC 385G Curriculum in Physical Education
- EDC 385G Research on Teacher Education in Physical Education
- EDC 398T Supervised Teaching in Curriculum and Instruction
Spring semester enrollment is not available. Applications are due December 15 online at http://www.edb.utexas.edu/education/departments/ci/students/prospective/admissions/. Our program, however, will continue accepting applicants until April 15. Students will be notified if they are being recommended for admission to the Graduate School and if that admission comes with an assistantship.
Students must submit 3 letters of recommendation, 2-3 years of public school teaching experience, a statement of professional and research objectives with rationale for seeking the degree, a CV, GRE scores completed within the past 5-years. TOFEL scores are required for international students. Please note these are preferred requirements and exceptions can be made on an individual basis. More detailed information can be found at here.
**These are preferred requirements but exceptions can be made on an individual basis**
FINANCIAL AIDE and Employment
- There are highly competitive fellowships, teaching and research assistantships varying each year. In general, fellowships are competed at the dept. and/or university level. Teaching and research assistantships include teaching KIN 314 Children’s movement; supervising student teaching; serving as a teaching assistant for undergraduate studies (UGS) courses. Doctoral assistantships include a tuition waiver and a varied amount of stipend, depending on the type of assistantships, plus student health insurance.
***The information on this site is provided by the participating universities and its accuracy is their sole responsibility***